I love using chalkboards in my house for grocery lists and even for décor. This DIY chalkboard uses serving platters that I got from a few resale shops, but you could even use ones from dollar stores!
I used a large one with handles and a small one to place next to it to use for different holidays such as counting down to Christmas or for New Year’s. Make sure to buy some silver picture frame stands if you want your platters to stand up. And don’t forget to embellish with some cute festive holiday decor!
What You’ll Need
- Serving platters of various sizes. (I used one large one and a small one)
- Chalkboard paint
- Priming paint
- Sponge brush
- Décor for the trays
- Picture frame stands
1. Clean the surfaces of your platters and make sure they are dry.
2. Start by painting the surface with the primer paint. You can use painters tape so you don’t get the paint on the edges.
3. Let dry.
4. Paint the surface with the chalkboard paint.
5. Let dry and apply a second coat so the strokes are even.
6. Let dry.
7. Using white or colored chalk, write “Happy New Year 2015″ or “Days ‘Til Christmas.”
You can use this creative DIY project for Christmas, New Year’s and beyond!
Photo Credit: April Schallau